Skip navigation

Tag Archives: test

Once I had four lovely stencil alphabets cut out and ready to rock, it was time to see how they spray.  Kinda nice to be doing something not involving a computer.

Advertisements

Formerly known as Slit Stencil Round and Slit Stencil Sharp, Clean Cut typefaces Sliced and Diced were put through their paces. I printed out the uppercase and lowercase alphabet of each and timed how long it took me to cut them out. Seems I averaged about 11-12 minutes per alphabet. An important discovery was that there wasn’t a significant difference between the time it took to cut Sliced and Diced. I was assuming Diced would go faster. It will be interesting to see if this proves true in later stages of user testing.

In order to further pin down the right orientation for curves, I’ve devised this test sheet:

Test patterns

Next chance I get to work on this, I’ll print out two copies: one for upstroke cutting and one for downstroke.

This evening I printed out a sheet of my “Slits Round” design (like I said, I need better names for this stuff), and tried my hand at cutting it out.

Setting up:

Screen capture

The first test

I found that I’d been wrong about horizontal strokes. I drew them curved side facing down, but the more natural curving motion is to cut with the curve facing up, butting frol left to right.

Close up of cutting

more cutting

The artist at work:

The artist at work

Finished product:

all done

I found also that at this size, many of the letters felt rather skimpy. I might want to fatten them up. Also, I ought to try them with paint and see how they work in the field.